Sunday, May 16, 2010

Rhubarb Crumble Bars

Bestowed upon me by my lovely Godmother and Great Aunt: 4 cups washed and cut fresh rhubarb. (I wish I was always so lucky to receive all of my vegetables in this manner.)
My mission: to create something lovely (and healthy) out of this vegetable that would make my gardener proud! The result: a gooey bar with a crispy top, best eaten with a fork (they're a little to fragile for hand-to-mouth eating) that could easily be confused with a tart apple cobbler. Delish.

Poor Herbert. Mean Mommy made him wait while I captured these images before digging in!
The Stuff:
  • 2 c. fresh rhubarb, diced
  • 1 & 1/2 T. honey
  • 1 tsp. lemon juice
  • 2 T. water
  • 2 T. sugar (or 4 packets Splenda)
  • 1/4 tsp. cornstarch
  • 1 & 1/2 T. butter
  • 1/2 c. Bisquick
  • 2 T. milled flax seed
  • 2 T. water
  • 3 tsp. brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. granulated sugar (or 1 packet Splenda)
  • 3/4 c. oats
  • generous sprinkle of cinnamon
The Making:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a small loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
  2. In a medium saucepan ring first 5 ingredients to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the rhubarb is tender, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and sprinkle in cornstarch. Stir well to combine. Set aside.
  3. Combine remaining ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Stir until well mixed.
  4. Place 1/2 of moist crumble mixture into greased loaf pan and. Pat down into pan so that it is spread evenly. Pour about 3/4 of rhubarb sauce over the crust and spread evenly. Break apart remaining crumble mixture and drop on top of rhubarb sporadically and as evenly as possible.
  5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. The cook recommends serving with vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I didn't have Bisquik and used beignet mix instead (yes, random). I might have also forgotten the water in the crumble. As I said, I can't follow your directions verbatim to save my life.

    Regardless, this was lovely--but you can't count ingredients. It should be the first FIVE ingredients. (If you want to hire a fact checker, I'm available.)

    ReplyDelete