I'm no expert at this, but here's my attempt at Baba Ganoush, a hummus-like dip made from cooked eggplant. Curiously, a baba ganoush recipe was requested by my aunt, who has recently shared with me that she doesn't think she will ever follow my recipes exactly. I guess I can't blame her, because I'm the same way, but why then, I wonder, does she make special requests for me to feature a dish? Is it for the pictures?
Often served with pita chips, bell pepper strips, and other veggies, it's loaded with vitamins and essential nutrients. Tahini is a good source of calcium, protein, B vitamins, and essential fatty acids. Eggplant is a great source of antioxidents (disease-fighters), and the skin contains Nasunin. This is a potent antioxidant and free radical scavenger that has been shown to protect cell membranes from damage. Knowing this, I did add about half of the not-so-charred skin back into my ganoush. The addition provided a bit of smokey flavor and a bit of texture.
- baking sheet
- blender or food processor
- 1 medium-small eggplant (mine was about 1 pound)
- 1 T. tahini (roasted sesame paste)
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or the equivalent in jarred or powdered)
- sprinkle of chile powder
- generous shake of ground coriander
- 1 T. dried parsley or cilantro leaves
- optional: 1 T. olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat broiler to high. Use a fork to prick eggplant a few times; place on a baking sheet and set directly under broiler to crisp/char skin of eggplant. This can also be done over a charcoal grill or using the stovetop of a gas stove. Watch carefully and turn occassionally in order to evenly char.
- Change oven temperature to 375 and roast eggplant in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until they're completely soft. You can test the softness by poking plant with a paring knife; if you have no resistence, your eggplant is done.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Slice the eggplant in half and scrape use a spoon or fork to scoop out the pulp. Puree the pulp in a blender or food processor with the other ingredients until smooth.
- Taste, and season with salt, pepper, and additional lemon juice, if desired. Chill for a 3 hours for best results.