Friday, May 28, 2010

Black Bean Corn Salsa


This salsa really is the ultimate salsa. And I take my salsas very seriously. I cannot remember where I first came upon the inspiration recipe for this Britt-ified version, and I wish I could give it some credit, but alas, a Google search gave me no leads.

Fresh-tasting with a bit of cool kick provided by the lime juice-hot sauce combo, this salsa is a great way to enjoy your vitamins. For best results (if you have the self-restraint), allow the flavors to be enhanced for an hour or more in your refrigerator.

If your kitchen is void of cilantro (as mine was this afternoon), you can substitute other herbs for a different flavor. I used a 1/2 tablespoon each of dried oregano and parsley, and the result was quite enjoyable. Still, if you have the means, I highly recommend picking up fresh tomatoes and cilantro for an ultra refreshing salsa that will leave you wondering what happened to all of your tortilla chips.
The Edibles:
  • 1 can diced tomatoes, drained well (or 1 & 1/2 c. deseeded, diced fresh tomatoes)
  • 1/2 of 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 c. southwestern blend frozen vegetables (typically includes corn, diced bell peppers, and diced onion)*
  • 3 T. lemon or lime juice
  • 1/2 T. powdered garlic
  • 1/2 c. chopped cilantro
  • 1/2 - 1 T. hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
  • salt and pepper to taste

    *Alternatively, you can use 1/2 diced vidallia (sweet) onion, 1/2 cup corn, and 1/2 diced bell pepper.

The Making:
  1. Combine all ingredients in a large storage container. Stir well; devour.

No comments:

Post a Comment