Saturday, August 14, 2010

Homemade Almond Butter

The serious female domination in my family has taken on a life of its own. Just recently we've jokingly labeled ourselves (rather proudly, I should add) the Association of Major Boss Ladies. Though some of us younger generations are more appropriately titled, "Major Boss Ladies in Training [MBL(IT)]", the name is perfectly descriptive of our collective bossiness (though we prefer to say that we're just a group of definitive decision makers, movers, and shakers).

Nevertheless, I believe it is an almost unanimous trait (Momo may be the only exception) of all Boss Ladies to have a particular weakness for nut butter. For a group of strong-willed women, we all are hilariously perilous when faced with a jar of creamed nut.

Thus, I decided to make my own nut butter. As a Major Boss Lady in Training, I will be able to control just how much I make and of what exactly it is made. My guess is that this recipe will make about 4 tablespoons. (I only guess because I made mine with about 1/2 as many nuts and didn't measure the outcome before I spread it on toast... perilous, I tell you!)

In theory, 4 tablespoons should be enough to cover at least 2 sandwiches (depending on your shmearing tendencies), and isn't enough to cause serious damage if ingested all at once. Hey, we all have our vices, right? It's about working with them and allowing ourselves a little wiggle room so we don't go crazy!!
The Edibles:
  • 24 almonds, roasted, unsalted
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
The Making:
  1. Grind up ingredients in food processor until you have made a paste. Unless you're fortunate enough to have a heavy duty food processor, it's recommended that you grind for 30 seconds to one minute and allow for 30 second breaks in between sessions. This will help ensure you don't overwork your appliance.
  2. Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

No comments:

Post a Comment