Sunday, August 1, 2010

Deviled Tomatoes

A few nights back, as we prepared dinner, Jay mentioned this appetizer in passing, but with a definite "they were ahhhh-mazing." We tend to speak in code. Calling someone else's food, "ahhhh-mazing" is like a challenge to my own, and he knows it. The question was... could I recreate it such that it would produce a similar reaction? I asked for more specifics, and Jay went on to tell me that at a recent backyard gala of sorts a friend's mom served a filling similar to that provided below and spooned it into what I'm guessing were de-seeded grape tomatoes. Feeling less ambitious, I chose to make these using plum tomatoes which would require a less concentrated effort to de-seed.

I'm not going to lie, the bacon does contribute to the depth of flavor, but I think vegetarians could enjoy this bite sans animal and still enjoy it. I recommend making the filling at least 30 minutes ahead of time in order to allow for maximum flavor melding.

"Now, what was the result?" you ask. It was undoubtedly a harried rendition of the inspiration appetizer, but Jay was left speechless.
The Edibles:
  • 1 T. mayonnaise or miracle whip
  • 2 T. greek yogurt
  • 1 T. dijon mustard
  • 2-3 T. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
  • 2 T. real bacon bits (omit if making for vegetarians)
  • 2 plum tomatoes, halved, seeds scooped out
  • chopped chives, sea salt, and pepper to taste
The Making:
  1. In a small bowl mix together first 7 (6 if you're a veggie) ingredients.
  2. Portion out filling into the four plum tomato halves. Top with chives, sea salt, and pepper to taste.
  3. Serve at your most classy of get-togethers.

No comments:

Post a Comment