Another recipe that uses cucumbers? Another that uses tomatoes? You may be sick of these basic veggies (or are they fruits?), but here in this household they're a staple because they're in season, fresh, inexpensive, and above-all, good for you!
The main reason I decided to even post this ridiculously basic recipe is to share the making of the ridiculously delicious dressing for the cucumbers and tomatoes. It is pretty much inevitable that you will not have the spice blend I used on hand, I'm sure it will be just as delicious with some sprinkles of paprika and onion powder... or completely omitted. If you have the means, I highly recommend searching for the Celestial Seasonings blend or a spice blend like it, because the flavors are a great mix that can be used to amp up anything from tofu to pork chops. (A suggestion as a substitute: Perfect Pinch Roasted Garlic Bell Pepper Seasoning from McCormick)
- 1 T. rice vinegar
- 1 T. apple cidar vinegar
- 1 T. honey dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- hearty shake of Celestial Seasonings "Sweet Peppers and Onions" blend
- 1 cucumber, zebra peeled & sliced
- 2 c. cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- sea salt & pepper, to taste
- Whisk together first 6 ingredients. Pour over cucumber slices and tomato quarters. Stir gently to make sure all of your veggies get covered with some of the dressing's goodness.
- Try a bite. Add salt and pepper if desired.