Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Watermelon Feta Salad on a Stick

It's officially summer. Despite the negatives that I associate with Chicago in the summertime (such as pressing up against sweaty commuters in a crowded train that smells like B.O.), there are overwhelming positives that make that El ride more bearable. One of my favorite things about summer is the fresh produce. It's the season for berries, tomatoes, and melons, and knowing this I rushed out and purchased my first (and most definitely not my last) watermelon.

This coupling has been on my mind since last summer. I love feta, I love watermelon, so the thought of pairing the two in a salad or something like that sounded simply marvelous. Feeling somewhat lazy and not really willing to make the trek to the grocery store to pick up any additional ingredients, I chose to make a small, simple appetizer that provides all the beauty of this sweet and salty combination. In the meantime, feel free to drool over this salad that inspired all of my desires. Perhaps a copy-cat (with variations, of course) will follow in the near future.
The Stuff:
  • toothpicks (if you're feeling fancy)
The Edibles:
  • watermelon, cut into large chunks
  • fresh spinach
  • crumbled feta
  • balsamic vinaigrette
The Making:
  1. Place one chunk watermelon atop one spinach leaf and top with a pinch of feta. Poke toothpick through spinach leaf, securing the watermelon in the spinach envelope. Drizzle lightly with balsamic vinaigrette. Serve to your most distinguished guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment