It seems like "green" is the theme for my cuisine these days. This sandwich is a simple, delicious, vegetarian option that lends itself to interpretation based on the veggies and other toppings you have on hand.
This "recipe" uses tempeh right from the package. I love tempeh in all forms; I think it can be great sautéed but just as good un-cooked. In fact, I've found its straight-from-the-package form to be a lovely addition to the traditional PB&J! I know that it may be an acquired taste, but I particularly enjoy the nuttiness and bit of crunch it offers in its beany, protein- and fiber-packed little block!
- 2 slices of your favorite multi-grain braid
- honey mustard
- several slices of tempeh, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 of an avocado, sliced
- 1 wedge of Laughing Cow spreadable cheese
- several basil leaves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- If you prefer, toast your bread. Spread one slice of bread (or toast) with honey mustard to your liking.
- Layer tempeh, avocado, cheese, and basil on the mustard slice. Sprinkle with fresh ground pepper and salt (or omit for a lower-sodium option).
- Top with second slice of bread, and dig in!