Monday, September 6, 2010

Almond Banana Muffins

For months now, I have had a box of Trader Joe’s Multigrain Baking Mix sitting in my cupboard, unopened. Though I’ve had inspirations for its use, I haven’t acted on any… until now.

I’ve mentioned before how I take after my grandma (hi, Mommom!) who will go to extremes not to waste a morsel of any food. Leftover dip? Use it as a bagel spread for the next 3 days. A loaf of marble rye looking like it will go uneaten? Not if she can help it! Thick slices of that loaf will be reincarnated as French toast for breakfast… for 5 days. Oh memories...

When I spotted a banana in our fruit basket, enveloped in brown peel, it signaled to me that its days were numbered. What else was I to do but put it out of its misery? It was the humane thing to do... and it satisfied the Mommom in me, because I ensured it did not go to waste.

And waste it most definitely did not become! Behold! A moist muffin rich in whole grain goodness, full of ingredients that can lower cholesterol and prevent heart disease. And should I add that it is boy-approved? Right on.
Makes 6 normal-sized muffins.

The Edibles:
  • 1 T. milled flax seed
  • 2 T. + ¼ c. water
  • ¼ tsp. almond extract
  • ¼ c. agave nectar
  • 4 tsp. granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp. vegetable oil
  • 1 c. baking mix (such as Trader Joe’s or Bisquick)
  • ½ c. oat bran
  • hearty shake of cinnamon
  • 1 very ripe banana
  • 10 raw almonds, crushed or coarsely chopped
The Making:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mix together first 6 ingredients; set aside.
  3. Mix together the baking mix, oat bran, and cinnamon. Add in banana and flax seed liquid from step 2. Mix well, but don’t worry if you see chunks of banana hiding in your batter. They will become delicious morsels in your muffins. Fold in almonds and ensure they are evenly dispersed in your batter.
  4. Bake for 15-20 minutes, using a toothpick to ensure they are fully cooked.
Umm yeah. Definitely boy-approved.
Devoured.

No comments:

Post a Comment